Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Modify the startup list in Windows 8!

I figured out how to disable McAfee on my new laptop. I largely used this as my guide.

  1. I moved my cursor to the lower right corner so that the Windows 8 charm bar would appear, then I clicked on the "Search" icon. I found the "Command Prompt" icon in the sea of icons which appeared and I right-clicked upon it and then picked "Pin to taskbar" which put an icon for the "Command Prompt" on the taskbar at my desktop.
  2. I opened the Command Prompt from my taskbar at my desktop and typed "services.msc" which spawned a window titled "Services" where I...
    • I found the items that started with "McAfee" and, one-by-one, right-clicked upon them and picked "Properties" from the menu which appeared.
    • Another dialog box spawned for each item. Each box had four tabs. The "General" tab had a "Startup type" drop down and I set its value to "Disabled" in the instances where I could change its value which was not all instances.
    • I clicked "OK" at each of the "General" tabs.
  3. I opened the Command Prompt from my taskbar at my desktop and typed "msconfig" which spawned a window titled "System Configuration" where I...
    • Went to the "Startup" tab and clicked on the link for "Open Task Manager" which opened the "Startup" tab in a new window dubbed "Task Manager"
    • I right-clicked on "McAfee Security Center" and selected the "Disable" option.
  4. I restarted and on the other side of the restart there was no more McAfee!

No comments:

Post a Comment