Saturday, October 27, 2012

must keep reading/burnt out on reading

In remoting, two ASP.NET applications are able to share objects. An object will get serialized by one app and then picked up by another. This is the most interesting thing I read about in the Serialization chapter of C# 4.0 in a Nutshell. The chapter is largely on XML-driven ways to serialize objects that I will never use. I remember being excited in seeing a serialization chapter in the book when I first picked it up in Barnes and Nobles (window shopping in advance of an Amazon buy/that's what Barnes and Nobles is good for) but now I've actually read the chapter and it never mentioned JSON. The chapter was probably written for C# 3.0 in a Nutshell and ported into the book I'm reading now. I'm twenty pages shy of being two-thirds through the thousand page tomb (at page 666), and I'm really, really burnt out on reading it. I guess I will keep reading and finish the book however. I have learned a lot about delegates. This book helped delegates make more sense than anything I had read previously. Well, at least now I'm on the other side of the serialization chapter. At the three-pages-a-day rate I am undertaking, I am going I will be done around the end of February 2013. I lug the book around with me everywhere I go in hopes of being able to read some when waiting at restaurants for food or tech events for the show to start. In recent weeks both Kassandra Perch and Sukant Hajra have given me grief about trying to read an O'Reilly book cover to cover. They both scoffed at the prospect and suggested that O'Reilly books were not something they read "anymore" as if to suggest I was trapped in the past. Ha! Perhaps they are right. I'm going to tough it out however as I'm already hip deep into the book I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment