Thursday, May 31, 2018

Why can't I see the tool menu icons in Visual Studio 2017?

I'm lost without that little green arrow to start debugging. Whatever am I do to? To get the images to come back, close Visual Studio 2017, delete the ImageLibrary.cache file at C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_6848ab89\ImageLibrary, and then reopen Visual Studio 2017. The "Thomas" and "15.0_6848ab89" folders in your path out to ImageLibrary.cache are going to have different names in your environment obviously. Duh. While figuring this out I bumped into two other interesting things:

  1. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/94502/visual-studio-2017-153-toolbar-icons-are-missing.html had the fix and upstream of the copy I needed there was some copy that suggested that I run devenv /Log at the Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 and I found the Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 in a "Visual Studio 2017" folder at the start menu.
  2. When the toolbars actually vanish from Visual Studio you may right-click in the top nav and pick "Standard" or "Debug" or whatever to unhide the toolbars you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment