Tuesday, April 3, 2018

how to put gas in a 2012 Mitsubishi Galant

Friday will make five years since the end of the Sogeti (Capgemini) contract! When I was in New Hampshire I was the token member of the team who decided to just stay there on weekends instead of flying back every weekend and thus it only made sense for me to rent the rental car and play chauffeur. Here are some photos from me trying to figure out how to put gas in the car for the first time.

 
 

I got to take the trip via some of the trappings of Sogeti's internal politics. They could have just sent contractors from their Boston office. (Garrett Johnson who ran the Dell team at what used to be EqualLogic's facility before a buyout wanted people onsite and not overseas contractors.) Sending Boston office contractors and not Austin office contractors however would have meant a kickback for the Boston office and not the Austin office (which had the Dell account) and so if Sogeti could find someone, anyone, from Austin willing to just go to New England for seven weeks it would be to their advantage and so I got to go to New England. I was really green. I made Garrett Johnson see me in a different light when I encrypted a DataTable like a string. Awesome! There was no screening of me by Dell itself at the time. Kevin Cheesman and Jeff Stuesser at Sogeti's Austin office where able to just run with me. Hilarious! I've grown a lot in the five years since.

 
 

Chris Maldonado vented to me once about a sales opportunity lost because he could only propose that it be staffed from Sogeti talent in the immediate region and not Sogeti nationwide. I guess there were plenty of weird red tape trappings like that in such a big organization. I was just a contractor, but a lot of the full time employees were made to do silly assignments while sitting on "the bench" between paying gigs. I enjoyed the collection of eclectic characters at the New Hampshire office such as Jill Trask and Kyriakos Flantinis of Dell itself and Paul LeBlond of Ektron. I stopped by the Ektron office once while I was up there.

 
 

This was the second of three contractor stints out at Dell for me so far. The first was while I was at Headspring and entailed working on that Nexus project that Mike Haze spearheaded back in 2008. The most recent endeavor got me into Angular 2 and TypeScript. The New Hampshire trip was a bait and switch. I thought I'd be going as a chore in advance of doing bigger work on dell.com and then the bigger work never happened, but it was still worth doing. I am glad I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment