Saturday, August 19, 2017

What is the difference in the different versions of MVC?

I was with a consultancy that was very much in love with ASP.NET MVC and started using it in Visual Studio 2005 when it was still in beta. I have thus, technically, been versed in MVC from the beginning. Rather frustratingly however, most of the places I went to work after that consultancy had me doing web forms and not MVC so in the end I really know more about web forms. We are on the cusp of another big change now with Angular 2 and I again seem to be getting on board at the right time. Hopefully I can stay hip deep in the new stuff and not get sucked back into, scoff, MVC. My web forms experience turned out to be a blessing in disguise as Angular 2 is honestly more like web forms than MVC. So what were the differences in the various versions of this once cool thing which started out as Microsoft's attempt to mimic Ruby's routing and most recently has become Microsoft's attempt to mimic Node's lightweightness?

  1. The token goofy web form you had to have to wire things up in the beta is now gone.
  2. MS AJAX no longer comes with everything else by default. You now have to explicitly add it in and no one does because everyone is now using jQuery instead.
  3. Razor!
  4. Mobile-specific views! You may have a separate view for mobile phones as opposed to laptops and MVC will be smart enough to fall over to the right view conditionally when it summons a view.
  5. Dependencies at controller signatures may be auto-populated by StructureMap!
  6. .NET Core!

This is a really stupid breakdown, right? There is a lot more to it than that, huh? What I give here is just the strongest impression I have of the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment