Tuesday, August 1, 2017

If you're an SAP professional and you're not a poser, you have to be able to work with version 4 and it goes back to 1989.

I am paraphrasing this quote which was given to me by an SAP professional who can work with the stuff from 1989, and I do not know if this statement is true. I thought of it today as I saw the 1989 set movie "Atomic Blonde" for the second time last night (which everyone should run out and see in the theaters this week before it's gone) and, a little after midnight, technically inside of today, when the credits rolled, they were faked as if to look like a dump from a file on a computer from that 1989 era. This code was put on the screen before the credits started up.

The film is a spy movie with a lot more great music than you'd expect from a spy movie set in Berlin during the fall of the wall which had stood for twenty-eight years. Now another twenty-eight years have passed and I guess it is time for some nostalgia. The first thing I did at work today was set up a new account in a new (to me) Microsoft Office 365 environment and in diving out of 1989 and back into more modern modernity I felt no nostalgia for twenty-eight years ago.

I once did an interview at Dovetail back when their entire business model was support for an old CMS called Clarify which existed before the world wide web and was made to just run on a PC somewhere and I guess be interfaced with via DOS. Luckily I did not get this gig. Yeesh. When I think about what it would be like to have to work with even Access or Cold Fusion or Flash again it's not a pleasant thought. Give me the modern times. It does give me a moment of Virginia Slims (You've come a long way, baby.) perspective. So much as changed. Does anyone even remember Virginia Slims? ...or smoke anymore?

 
 

Addendum 8/2/2017: I guess the code I do not recognize from 1989 is fake code. Who has commands ending in underscores butting up against magic strings without a space between? Awesome! While I am thinking about it, a playlist from the movie is given here.

No comments:

Post a Comment