Friday, July 11, 2014

removing Trovi Search malware?

Alright, in my case I am trying to remove it from Internet Explorer at Windows 8. At first I thought this was the fix:

  • go to "Manage Add-ons" under the "Tools" menu
  • pick "Search Providers" at the left at the "Manage Add-ons" dialog box which appears
  • you will need to set Bing back to be the default search provider before you may disable Trovi
  • disable Trovi
  • at "Internet Options" under the "Tools" menu set the home page to be something that doesn't suck

 
 

...but it kept coming back whenever I restarted. The home page of IE would get set back to something for Trovi. This suggested that I delete everything at:

  • %systemroot%\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\*.*
  • %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\*.
  • %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\temp\ Trovi Search.exe o

 
 

The bullets above come verbatim from the other site I link to. I tried to clean this stuff up some. I've also just turned off everything that runs at startup. So far it (Trovi) seems to be gone. I have hunch there is something sinister installed that was running at startup, but I am having a hard time putting my finger on what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment