Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Web Essentials way of doing LESS-to-CSS and minifying JavaScript is deprecated with Visual Studio 2015.

Gulp will be a part of the new way though I don't really understand it yet. When I saw this talk by Kyle Simpson he badmouthed Gulp and expressed frustration at how there may be assumptions that your folder structure is set up a particular way which end up causing Gulp's processes to break when you try to pull stuff down from Gulp. That certainly seems to be my experience too. The thing that really keeps me from learning anything dependeding on npm-based installation in my spare time is that the first step of the process, getting dependencies, always seems to go South for me leaving me a tangled half working starting point that I cannot go forward from. Maybe there is an assumption that I'm using a Mac instead of a PC which is not the case.

Addendum 7/22/2015: This is no longer true. An update to Web Essentials has arrived with the arrival of Visual Studio 2015 this week and it is revelant again!

No comments:

Post a Comment