Sunday, December 1, 2019

second stab at React

Alright guys, React is now the thing for me to learn and I have gone back through the first twenty minutes of this for a second time as a refresher. Beyond what I wrote here, the following is stuff I did not document the first time.

  1. Install the latest Node and also React Developer Tools for Chrome before starting a new app. With regards to this second item, two new tabs will appear in the Google Chrome Developer Tools when you press F12, Components and Profiler, but they will only appear when you are looking at a React application.
  2. I used the three steps here to make a new application and get it underway. I want to say that I learned that in the first step the name of the application cannot just be a period as the YouTube movie suggests and it cannot have an uppercase letter in it. I think both of these things were once viable. They are not viable anymore.
  3. The Virtual DOM in React allows for isolation, so that when a form posts to a "Post Component" only the component changes and not the whole of the page.
  4. The context API allows for the use of "app-level state" without Redux.
  5. Class Post extends React.Component is an example of the declaration for a component. I am pretty sure this (well, something very much like it) exists elsewhere on this blog but here it is again.
  6. Ctrl-C will stop the server when run from a command prompt in Windowsland the same as in the Angular space.
  7. render() is a lifecycle method on a component and the only one it has to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment