Thursday, December 28, 2017

Nan's

I've had this blog afloat for six and a half years now, since the Summer of 2011, and it has mostly been an exposition of my sloppy notes and goofy thoughts on modern coding for line of business apps and CRUD mechanics. That's a good topic too. There are jobs galore in this vein of things, more jobs than there are people to do them, and if you are inclined (It's not for everyone.) this can be your ticket out of working in restaurants and into the middle class. It was for me. As things are so ever-changing it is fun to document it and look back at snapshots. 2011 really was a long time ago, you know? JavaScript was really just taking off back then and now it's all pervasive. Along with modern coding I seem to stray into documenting modernity itself. You'll see movie references all over this blog. I'm obsessed with film. I care a little about what you might think of as modern TV too, stuff you may stream from Netflix and the like. Their prior process of snail-mailing DVDs in little white sleeves around has faded out. I enjoyed the first two seasons of "Stranger Things" and there is another show out now called "Alias Grace" which I would also recommend. It seems music and restaurants play less into my thoughts. I guess I have mentioned them too. I don't drink or do drugs so I can't really tell you what beers I like or what head shop to go to buy a bong. I don't play video games and I don't know anything about fashion. Hmmm...

Another thing that is missing is comic books and roles-playing games and the like. I have a long history of role-playing games under my belt that is a distant past. The last time I participated in a game it was the World of Darkness setting and was with Mark Carroll, Jerry Gutierrez, Richard Gutierrez, Doug Lenat, Bill Mathews, Darin Oehlke, Ryan Thames, and Jessie Thogmorton back in 2009 and 2010 at an apartment I had in Austin. I was fresh off my divorce and this gaming group was another bad experience to boot. World of Darkness, in its second edition watered-down reboot, was still the thing that had Mage and Vampire and Werewolf as other games within it. Mage the game should not be confused with Mage the comic book. I'm into the comic book too, or at least I was. This too, my fascination with Matt Wagner's works, Mage and Grendel, seems so long ago. Anyhow, Mage was originally intended as a set of three comic runs, Mage: The Hero Discovered, Mage: The Hero Defined, and now Mage: The Hero Denied. I didn't really think the final leg, The Hero Denied, would ever show up as this stuff just seemed to get dropped back in the 1990s... but here it is. It's back. This is one example of me caring about comic books. I thought it should make my blog. I stopped by Nan's yesterday and picked up the first four issues and they are good. I recommend this. Oh, I'll end in telling you about another stray thought. I recently went to the dentist for the first time in nineteen years (no cavities) and it was much different than what I remembered. They take your blood pressure now and the dentist also took a bunch of digital photos of my teeth that I saw on a monitor upon my next visit. Half my teeth were cleaned in one sitting, half in a second sitting, and in a third sitting they polished my teeth, etc.

 
 

Addendum 1/22/2018: "Dead Of Winter" is a pretty fun board game.

No comments:

Post a Comment