Tuesday, December 12, 2017

negative records for metrics reporting

I have a database table whose records are largely used in SSRS reports and these reports show metrics across a swath of records filtered by things such as date and the like. I just found out today that these records, imported from Excel sheets, can occasionally be "deleted" records whose intent is to offset another record that is a mistake. Shouldn't I just find the dance partner on import and delete it in lieu of adding a wacky offset record? Well, the end client wants a history of everything and has found previous pain in discarding botched records and having no way to reverse-engineer the fact that it they were once there. Alright, well should the offsets just get a flag and then be accounted for in the SSRS reports? Yikes, talk about a spaghetti mess. Do I want to inject yet more logic into T-SQL? Maybe it's best to try to flip digits to negative numbers in writing rows. I don't yet know if I can get away with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment