Sunday, September 6, 2015

more notes of the Tim Thomas CSS talk

https://github.com/TimGThomas/stateful-css-slides/ has all of Tim's slides which one may right arrow and left arrow back and forth through. They sit on top of a series of radio buttons which are hidden and dressing up the "slides" in much the same manner a checkbox is hidden to make copy on/off clickable here. There is an example in Tim's stuff of making a tabbed content area within a web page with the radio button trick. visibility:hidden is friendly to transitions where display:none is not. There is a loading keyword one may use when clicking a button and waiting for an AJAX request to happen to dress up the button with a spinner or something similar as if to say: "Hey, we're chewing on it." Wait, I guess there is no a "loading" keyword. Instead, I think Tim added a "loading" class to a button upon starting the act of loading to make the trick happen. I guess he then took it away again later, after loading. Uh, my chicken scratch notes can be hard to reinterpret as I type this stuff up. Codepen was suggested to be a pretty good place to go to for CSS examples. Beyond what Tim had to say, I had some pretty interesting conversations with some of the JavaScript peeps there before he started to talk. I vented my frustration of how I'd probably need to buy a Mac if I ever wanted to get serious about JavaScript as when Gulp and similar tools pull dependencies they try to place them in a folder structure I don't have. A guy there mentioned NPM for Windows, but honestly I think I've already been trying to use it and it hasn't solved my problem. As much as I like to play with aurelia I am incapable of setting it up on a Windows 8 laptop. I'm dead in the water before I can even begin because there is no way to hydrate the dependencies. Hisssss! XMPP is Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol and is used in a lot of chat clients. Isomorphic means using the same language at the front end and the back end and this, yes, implies Node used in tandem with one of our modern JS frontend frameworks like Angular. Get it? JavaScript everywhere. "Universal JavaScript" is a new term emerging to replace isomorphic which isn't intuitive in/of meaning. I had to ask what it was. Elm is another corny language that complies to JavaScript. Maybe it's unfair for me to call it corny. The other things which compile to JavaScript that I've seen are corny. There was a conversation about whether it was wise to use one of many data stores with react.js and how the data in one store is eventually synced with another for consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment