Saturday, September 26, 2015

Fluent NHibernate is deprecated!

The Austin .NET User Group put on "Code Camp" an all-day-long/one-Saturday-a-year event every year from 2007 to 2014, but there wasn't one this year. Instead, Clear Measure seems to have stepped up to fill the vacuum with its own thing dubbed MeasureUP which sure felt an awful lot like Code Camp and was even held at Saint Eds! What's going on? Technically these things are two separate events, and yet... bah, maybe it's best not to think too hard about it. I saw numerous talks today at MeasureUp and they were all put on by Clear Measure staffers. It was awesome. Expect this blog to have write ups of all the talks I saw yet be patient while I type them up progressively. The keynote or opening or welcome-to-our-event-thing was given by Jeffrey Palermo who runs Clear Measure and once ran The Austin .NET User Group too. This warm up talk was about cyclical patterns in human history and cyclical patterns in software development too. More interesting than this formal talk was a discussion a friend and I had with Jeffrey beforehand, wherein he mentioned that Fluent NHibernate has fallen out of vogue as it has not been kept current with NHibernate itself! It seems that plain Jane NHibernate now has newer features that make it only make sense to use it directly instead of Fluent NHibernate. This caught me by surprise as I really never use NHibernate or Fluent NHibernate anymore. Actually, one of the insights to come from my current employment takes its shape in that I've fallen back in love with stored procedures again. I can live without the second level cache and I can certainly live without the bad SQL ORMs write under the covers and I don't think right-hand/left-hand mappings from datasets to POCOs are the end of the world. I think the right-hand/left-hand stuff is normal. You have to write maps after all in NHibernate anyways, right? The only way out of the right-hand/left-hand problem is with the overhead of reflection. Meh, I digress. I won in a raffle a license for Spread COM and whole experience of the day was really awesome, exactly the sort of fun I'd expect from Code Camp! Again, this is the first of many blog posts to come! Bonus: The picture here contains the password for the guest wireless!

No comments:

Post a Comment