Wednesday, August 14, 2013

North Austin is where it is at not South Austin.

Austin of 2013, well at least its tech scene, is the bomb. Imagine the romanticism people have for the California of the 1960s that you never experienced. The same romanticism will exist a generation from now for 2013 Austin tech. I feel really lucky to be here. I would say caught a break in moving to the ATX from Florida at age 12, but the truth is that my mother worked for IBM and tech was moving here even back then in 1986's Texas oil crisis. We had to come. In growing up in Austin, I always lived North and was told that the South side of town was the cool part of the city where all the pierced people lived, but recently I lived and worked South and feel I can scoff at it. North Austin, centered around the Arboretum, is where all the tech stuff is. I may never get to date a girl with pink hair, but, more importantly, I have a cool job. I have, for three months now worked @hand and it is awesome!

If it seems like this is sixth place Tom Jaeschke has worked since leaving Headspring in March of 2011, your count is good, but I am going to stay at @hand for some time (years) so don't think this is temporary. :P I recently got a new apartment at Balconies Woods Apartments near the office. Here is a selfie I took in the new mirror before it got disgusting:

The apartment is nice on its own, but as fate would have it I comes with a couple of perks. Through dumb luck, I live below Matt Underwood and Katie Pennington who are my two favorite people at the Olive Garden at 183 and Burnet where I eat every day.

Also, I can bike to work. I write this blog posting as today was the first day I did a bike in and bike out. The map here shows the way to drive to work, but on bike, I can take Balconies Woods Eastward until it dead ends and then get onto the driveway for The Quarries Church which empties onto a feeder road for MoPac that will take me into the parking lot holding @hand's office. The red circle shows where I may move from Balcones Woods's dead end to the drive of The Quarries Church. This may only be done by foot or bike and not by car!

Note: I don't drink alcohol or go to church. Please don't read either of those things onto this blog posting. If the selfie makes me seem narcissistic, well, that part is real.

Addendum 5/2/2014: Well, I didn't stay at @hand for years after all. :( It was good to work with the people there however. I'd like to acknowledge them. Clockwise around the conference room table from where I am standing in making the Vine above are: Luis Sanchez, Bryant "Poff" Poffenberger, Brad Coffman, Jonathan McKinney, Bryan Harclerode, Chris Elgin, Ben Hynum, Andrew McClellan, Kelsey Mayfield, Max Magee, Mike Loos, and Stepan Riha. My immediate superior was Tim Trentham.

No comments:

Post a Comment