Sunday, July 28, 2019

Comic Book College

Located at 4632 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55419 (Nicollet being what people refer to as "Eat Street" because of all of the restaurants along it though I've yet to eat in one myself) Comic Book College is the oldest comic book shop in the Twin Cities. It seems legit to me. I was there today and took these pictures. I endorse it.

Readers, I owe you an apology for pointing to Matt Wagner's Mage's third run as something awesome because it turned out that it really wasn't, but to make up for it I would suggest that the "Saga" series is pretty swell. I haven't read all of it. I'm not caught up, but a coworker gave me the first few collected-to-books printings of the early stories and I am impressed with the writing. The Wizard of Oz level of silliness took me a little bit to get used to, but eventually it all felt like home. Pardon the pun.

The magicesque language the Wreathers speak is Esperanto. You can Google Translate it. I assumed it was nonsense at first and by the time I realized it wasn't I no longer held in my temporary possession some of the collections of first issues so I couldn't go back and reverse engineer everything said. Eventually Marko's dad died and there was an extended sequence flashback of a memory of his dad from his childhood and the whole thing just had too much gibberish for me to think it was just gibberish anymore. The issue shown here is the one in which Marko himself dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment