Thursday, December 18, 2014

Git Flow

I found this slide from this talk on my phone this morning and now I wish I had shared it earlier.

All of the main line commits in blue are development releases, each with a new version number, paralleled by a development branch in purple. You still check into a development branch before you go home for the day no matter what and hence the development branch is always going to be a little nasty and cowboyesque. The sea green or teal color is a release branch wherein a development branch's code is going spruced up a little bit before it gets merged into the main line where it becomes (ta-da) a versioned release of the software. The red is for a bug fix. In staring at the notes I scribbled down for the talk I can tell that I did not come away from the talk with guidance as to what the green branches are. If memory serves these are tangential development branches off the main (purple) development branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment