Sunday, August 17, 2014

End of Xbox?

As of the coming of new CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft has shut down its Xbox wing and let go of thousands of Xbox related employees. This article suggests that perhaps Microsoft will just sell off Xbox to another company so maybe the Xbox isn't done, done, done. The Xbox and also Bing were the biggest money holes for Microsoft at the beginning of this year. I can remember going to a talk in the 1990s wherein a speaker said that if you put Sony and... I dunno, maybe Nintendo, together that you'd have a company as big as Microsoft in terms of revenue. Microsoft seems to charge into technologies where it feels another entity might challenge it (threaten it) and thus I guess they thought they needed to get into gaming. It does seem that they are more legitimately threatened anymore by Google which has grown quite impressive, though I cannot imagine Bing rivaling google.com. Meh. I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment