Thursday, September 26, 2013

An iPhone Web Clip is a shortcut to a specific website or web page that can be created in the iPhone web browser and stored on the iPhone's home screen.

The "Add to Home Screen" trick is probably an example of how to make a web clip. The description in the title of this blog posting comes directly from here verbatim.

Addendum 9/27/2013: The above may be dead wrong. It got voted down on Reddit. I found on Wikipedia: In addition, Mac OS X v10.5 "Leopard" released in late 2007, includes new widgets. One of these is Web Clips, which allows any user to turn a rectangular section of any webpage into a widget (This, however, only works with Safari). The widget updates as the website does, and all links and other interactive material in the widget's selection of the webpage works as if the website is being accessed from Safari. Another new widget is Movies, which allows users to find currently playing movies at local theaters, view trailers, and purchase tickets directly from Dashboard. Wait, now I've found this which reinforces what I first found. I suppose I shouldn't blog about things I've just heard about in passing based on my own "Google research." Alright, now I'm at work and the smart guy who told me about web clips reinforced my original belief. I guess haters are gonna hate on Reddit. I am glad I went through this drama however, because now I've learned of these metatags for managing web clip icons:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="/custom_icon.png"/>
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="touch-icon-iphone.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="76x76" href="touch-icon-ipad.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="120x120" href="touch-icon-iphone-retina.png" />
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" sizes="152x152" href="touch-icon-ipad-retina.png" />

No comments:

Post a Comment