Wednesday, September 25, 2013

540

...should be used as a magic number to judge if a device is a smartphone (or smart watch I suppose) in lieu of 600 as I had thought before. This has come from the team I work with as the better way to go. What is more, one should not make this decision based upon browser width alone, but should measure against browser width if it is less than browser height but browser height if it is less than browser width. I suppose the measuring has to be done in JavaScript as Bryan Harclerode mentioned today that my media queries CSS approach is not going to behave itself in every environment. (The reason to use 540 instead of 320 as a bellwether for whether or not to show that left nav or just put some links along the screen's bottom is to accommodate Android environments and not just iPhones.) In Androidland, the discrepancy between CSS pixels and device pixels can make CSS3 media queries misbehave it seems. Both min-width and max-device-width may be "sick." Disregard my blog posting on 600. 540 is the new 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment