Sunday, September 16, 2018

Matt's Bar

Located at 3500 Cedar Avenue South, in Minneapolis, Minnesota 55407, Matt's Bar sits at the Southeast corner of East 35th Street and Cedar Avenue South. I visited it for the first time today.

If is one of two locations that claims to have invented the Jucy Lucy, a dish original to Minneapolis, which is basically a Cheeseburger wherein there is a pocket of queso inside of the hamburger patty itself in a thin horizontal bubble.

The 5-8 Club at 5800 Cedar Avenue South (yes, the same street) in Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417 is the rival to Matt's Bar. I tried the 5-8 Club today too. There the Juicy Lucy is spelled Juicy Lucy and not Jucy Lucy I noted.

So who has the better Lucy? Alright, without being able to weigh in on who was first, Matt's is better. The queso was boiling hot and popped out (pressurized) all over me when I bit into it. The waitress even told me to be careful. The surprise entertained me. The 5-8 Club in contrast gave me a Lucy with a comparably underwhelming effect. There was even cheese on top of the patty to offset how the Juicy part was weak.

The 5-8 Club has a less interested building. I took photos of it too, but it is not photogenic like Matt's Bar so I'll only give the photos of Matt's Bar here. Negatives about Matt's bar include having to use an ATM (automated teller machine) inside the place because they would only take cash or check for payments, having to wait forever to be seated, having to wait forever for food, and having to go downstairs to a basement to use a restroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment