Thursday, September 6, 2018

Was John Brenner embezzling at Wells Fargo Advisors in St. Louis?

That was the rumor when I was there. I was told that he had been placed by Artech. When he staffed the team I was on six out of eight of us were with Artech (also one with Robert Half and one with Collabera). We were pair programming on everything and thus eight people were doing the work of four. Before that sounds normal to you, consider that no other team at Wells Fargo was pair programming. Instead, it was as if someone had argued for a ridiculously large budget. We weren't doing any test-driven development and there also weren't any testers. Instead of having eight developers writing code as four shouldn't we have spent some of that budget on testing? Why not have six developers and two testers? In another example of waste, I was cut from the team after a two month lull (two months of eight people sitting around doing nothing while Kip Garrison, our lead, skipped work here and there pretending to have a hurt back) and not before it. How does that make sense to anyone pinching pennies? I digress. Anyhow, what if John Brenner argued for a ridiculously large budget so that he could get a thousand dollar kickback for each seat he placed from Artech? I'm not saying that I know that was his compensation, but my mind swirls of those thoughts. His lackey with Artech, Jim Hanselman, sure did act like my best friend when he was letting me go and trying to "help me find other work" you know? Anyhow John's project went into red status and now Kip has to actually come into the office and lead the team. Frankenstein's Nazi is quite the bully. He had never run a team before and it shows, or maybe he'll just never be good at running a team. Is it six one way and a half dozen the other? I don't know. Another big mistake early on, my first week there, was abandoning Agile for Waterfall. Without the usual cadence of an analyst baking stories in advance of development, well, you get the two month lull I've already mentioned. I know how hard Wells Fargo is trying to turn its image around, but its red-headed step-child Wells Fargo Advisors isn't helping. Right now the stagecoach is being pulled by some sick horses and the slogan might as well be: "Together, we'll go nowhere."

No comments:

Post a Comment