Sunday, April 19, 2015

It's hard to be critical of pseudoagile.

All arguments about why something is bad are a variation of "Com'on guys. We're not really doing Agile." and the counterargument is: "Yeah. You knew that. Get over it." That said, pseudoagile can work! The only time I worked somewhere that truly adhered to the Agile process was that big project at that place I won't keep mentioning that I wasn't much of a part of. Otherwise, it has been something vaguely like Agile. Most companies seem to do pseudoagile in my observation. My current employers started doing "Agile" to turn around some problems and the thing they are doing is working for them and it is healthy. In contrast, the team at AMD only did Agile, not to solve a problem, but because... i-don't-know ...I think Joel Holder just thought it sounded cool. In both pseudo circumstances there is little reason to pipe up with a dissenting voice when going around the room in a retrospective and mentioning what went right and what went wrong. The management won't want to be "undermined" by suggestions after all, especially so in the latter case where they are trying to humor a hero instead of solve a problem. So don't make yourself an enemy by asking the tough questions. No one likes that.

If you don't hate your environment and you don't want to leave try to find ways to contribute and be helpful. This seemed to be my tireless personal mantra at that place I won't name. However, if you wish your employers were just better people, I wouldn't hold out optimism for change. Just bail. Get out of it. The "entrenched aristocracy" as Scott Bellware puts it won't want to hear that they need to clean up their act.

No comments:

Post a Comment