Monday, November 24, 2014

Coworkers were talking today about whether it is OK to test old versions of IE using the emulator in Edge or if VMs needed to be spun up with older versions.

One of my coworkers felt that the VM overhead was really the best way to go. We have seen discrepancies between the real thing and emulations. I think the example I am thinking of had to do with DevExpress control wackiness. Naturally this challenge begs the question: "How do I even install old versions of IE?" Well, a different coworker pointed out that if you install Windows 7 and just don't upgrade IE that you'll have IE8. But how can one have IE9 or IE10 without upgrading all the way to IE11? Well, the coworker who suggested the VM trick found http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx for IE9 and I don't know what to do about IE10. I kind of just use the emulator myself, but then my title is developer and not tester.

No comments:

Post a Comment