Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Hobbit

I have just returned from seeing the movie The Hobbit. Overall, it was so-so, but most rewarding was some initial study on why one should go on a reckless and dangerous adventure. The adventure might yield rewards, but is the risk really worth stepping outside of what you know and where you feel safe? If you think about it pragmatically you might conclude that such an adventure is unwise. The stronger counterarguments to contrary were articulated pretty well however:
  1. Think of what you wanted to do when you were young and how badly you wanted it then.
  2. Think of the regret you will carry from passing on the opportunity.
The second point is illustrated subtly and cleverly in the film. It was what I was most impressed with. Later in the movie, the selfish do-it-for-yourself thing seems to give way for the hero into a sense of obligation and a want for wanting to help others. I've experienced this. I'll start something for one reason and then, hip deep into the thing, the reason to continue is... different. I think most of us can read parallels of our professional choices and dreams onto some of The Hobbit's content. I saw the rationale for many of my own recent post-Headspring adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment