Monday, December 26, 2011

exposing SQL Server databases to the outside world

I just had a Rackspace tech talk me through how to prep SQL Server to allow for a database I had created in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 to be seen from Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 2008 outside of the server it lives on:

  • From the start menu, go to: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager and then click on SQL Server Services under SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local) and from there make sure SQL Server Browser is running. If it is not, make it run. If the start option is disabled: Right-click on SQL Server Browser, then go to Properties, then go to the Service tab, and finally set Start Mode to Automatic. This will make it so SQL Server Browser may be run.
  • The tech had me go to Client Protocols under SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration (32bit) under SQL Server Configuration Manager (Local) to be user TCP/IP was enabled.
  • The tech had me type wf.msc at the command line to launch Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. I right clicked at Inbound Rules under Windows Firewall with Advanced Security on Local Computer to create a new rule and ended up creating a rule for port 1433.
  • We checked on something else too, but now I can't remember what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment