Friday, September 2, 2011

learn from Woodrow Wilson's example

I am about to leave for the day having wrapped up working the month of August (since August first) and two days in September for New Iron at AMD. The three day Labor Day weekend beckons, but I know I will spend it up here in my cube working. That's alright. I love my job.

I've started keeping this blog in the name of ramping myself up on the app development I am stepping into. I feel I am largely ramped up now. I can think of a couple of things I don't know, but maybe I don't need to know those things just yet as it is...

  • In the first sprint just before I started, or perhaps even before then, a means to pull down Active Directory records for AMD (and furthermore base login and permissions around Active Directory) was implemented. The records are not of queries directly. A periodic push by a "middle app" publishes a list that is consumed by our app. I don't understand it. But then, I don't need to. It's a solved problem that has been hardly mentioned in my time here. If there is a sprint around Active Directory in the future, I can ramp up on it then.
  • QUnit for jQuery unit testing is another concern I do not have insight into. It is a part of our app. Again... when the time comes...

Woodrow Wilson, the best American president, won the 1st World War by waiting until the last possible moment to get in*. When he was in, he deferred to the military minds about him and let good people manage what they best knew how to manage without interference.

For all of the ramp up that comes with the fire hose of new information tied to ramping up on a new app in a new team, I am trying to not be distracted in such a way that I make a mountain out of molehill in worrying about every possible little thing I could be worrying about.

I'm also not about to distract my superiors with questions about Active Directory and QUnit when nothing to do with either is on my plate this sprint.

 
 
 
 

*I used a variation of this strategy when I used to play Magic the Gathering in 1995 and 1996 while in college at TSTC. I would attack no one and cause no problems for as long as I could, building while others fought.

No comments:

Post a Comment