Saturday, June 22, 2013

SalesForce email API

While I am thinking of it, I'd like to offer something random. When I worked with SalesForce at Headspring (more than two but less than five years ago) at that time there was an email-based API for SalesForce which was pretty magically. I imagine it is still around. If you are a sales rep (you hold a SalesForce account) and you email a lead or a contract while CCing a SalesForce email address... a communication record (I cannot remember what they are called) is logged at that party in SalesForce with the copy out of the email. How was this possible? I would imagine that:

  1. a server at SalesForce consumes the inbound emails that reach the carbon copied address
  2. a process checks to see if the email address that sent the email is also the username for an account at SalesForce
  3. in finding a match the process queries for a matching email address at a lead or contact
  4. a record is written at the lead or contact

No comments:

Post a Comment