Friday, September 27, 2019

Twenty-five dollars is the threshold wherein you have to provide a signature for a credit card payment in America and below that you do not have to do so.

I learned this factoid tonight. In Googling against it I found that this has been a trend since 2010 and that most payment gateways will be on board with this loosing of the emphasis on a signature which is a really old way of gauging who someone is. This isn't universally true so there may be convenience stores that always require you to sign I suppose and I think the cut over can also be a fifty dollars instead of twenty-five. When you order a meal for yourself at a restaurant and get less than twenty-five dollars of stuff and they bring you something to sign anyways, in those cases they are probably doing so in the hopes that you'll tip and not because they have to. I did have a waitress once chase me down because I forgot to sign the slip, but in that case it could have all been about validation for the tip. I dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment