Thursday, June 26, 2014

Java, Haskell, C++, and MATLAB

...are the four languages that one learns in a traditional computer science curriculum in modern America. If these are the only four languages on your resume it kind of says you only care so much. That said, I don't know any of these and I only hold an Associates in Multimedia so who am I judge you?

MIS stands for Management Information Systems. This is that "lightweight" degree that people get when they can't get computer science degrees, yet it still comes with those four semesters of calculus that you'll never use. I get the impression that this is more tailored to recordkeeping (line of business applications) than the hardcore computer science degree which looks a little better on a resume. However, the line of business applications sphere is where all of the jobs are and if you get a computer science degree you'll likely just end up doing MIS anyways. This is what happens to you if you’re an electrical engineer too. I can tell the guys who have the Bachelors in the three aforementioned studies do know something I don't, but there are more jobs in the line of business application realm than there are people in these fields. Well, at least that is the case in America right now. I guess we could solve that problem by not making so hard for Indians and Chinese to immigrate. I digress.

No comments:

Post a Comment