Friday, June 29, 2012

I can't speak my mind and I have fake teammates.

This has nothing to do with my current job, but, while I'm thinking about it, two staples of bad work environments I've seen that frustrate me:

  1. I cannot point out a problem. When I point out of a problem higher-ups are frustrated and just wish I would shut up. I should be thanked for pointing out a problem dammit. At the worst a higher-up could just tell me: "Yes, we are aware of that. Here is why we need to just live with the problem..." The absence of this sort of response, the opposite in which one tries to be helpful and they are met with defensive, reactionary anger suggests that precarious relationships and processes are being held together with duct tape. If your boss has a working Rube Goldberg machine that is making a profit, that accomplishment really isn't that admirable in my opinion. A functional mess is still a mess.
  2. I have fake teammates. At some point someone lets me know indirectly, never directly, that so-and-so is not performing and thus not to be taken seriously as a teammate. For some reason this person isn't being let go. They will be present for some time, but I should not take them seriously or waste too much time showing them how to do things or helping them grow. When the person in question earnestly wants to learn, grow, and do well, this is unbelievably frustrating. I find myself more keen to give respect to struggling developers than those who do not give them respect.

Bottom line: If you are someone who is just hiding in middle management, pushing bad policy in the name of just feeding your family, I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment