Wednesday, September 18, 2019

SQL Server evaluation period has expired.

Alright, this was behind SQL Server not running and understandably so. It took some doing to unearth what the error was. In Windows 10, I typed "services" at the start menu and in the services tried to manually start the SQL Server Agent (which really should have been running on startup) only to be told...

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

 
 

...and...

Windows could not start the SQL Server Agent (MSSQLSERVER) service on Local Computer.

 
 

If you right-click on any one of the services and pick "Properties" and then navigate to the "Dependencies" tab of the dialog box which "Properties" unearths. You will be told what other services that service depends on. It turns out that SQL Server Agent depends on SQL Server. When I tried to manually start that I got:

Windows could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 17051.

 
 

Alright, this suggested that I look for errors in the Event Viewer so I typed "event viewer" at the Windows 10 start bar. This brought up the Event Viewer. It opens with "Overview and Summary" showing and where it says Error, Warning, Information, and Audit Success in the "Summary of Administrative Events" pane I right-clicked on "Error" and the picked "View All Instances of This Event" to see the errors. I eventually found the error herein. I should have installed SQL Server Express from here to begin with instead I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment