Friday, November 6, 2015

I don't know Chinese.

It has been interesting working with Alipay, which is sort of the PayPal of China. First of all, when you submit a bad packet to them you just get an opaque unhelpful error message. I was leaving out "OrderDescription" to get this error, but nothing lets you know "OrderDescription" is the pain point.

When things go right you see this instead:

If you're like me in that you don't read Chinese, and I couldn't tell you if this is even Cantonese versus Mandarin, then it may help you to know that the page above is prompting you to log in with your username and password at the left. (The username at the top left field and the password below it in the field just above the blue button.) You theoretically get routed here when making a payment online and picking a "Pay with Alipay" option. On the other side of the log in, all you have to do is reenter your password in the six slots at the lower left of the next web page that appears as seen below. Perhaps the password is always six characters long. I don't know. The next thing you will see is some fashion of confirmation page at Alipay and then, without you taking any action, a second later you will be redirected back to the site you left where I suppose that site will give you some manner of confirmation that you paid with Alipay.

https://110.alipay.com/sc/aliedit/intro.htm allows you to download a plugin that I think you have to have running in the environment where you use browsers to pay with Alipay. Because I was using a test account, I didn't strictly have to use the plugin in my testing.

Addendum 11/12/2015: The "second" password (payment password) is not necessarily the same as the first (login password). The second password is not always going to be 6 characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment